Chain hoists are used for lower capacity, lighter duty applications and for projects in which cost is a primary deciding factor. The main reasons for choosing a chain hoist are as follows:
1. Ability to change height of lift by changing the chain (versatile)
2. Compact design (no drum, which saves space)
3. Portable and can tolerate greater levels of abuse
4. Provides true vertical lift at no extra cost
5. Capacity up to 15 tons (13.6 tonnes)
Chain hoists do, however, have certain inherent inconveniences such as
1. Limited lifting speed
2. Noisier operation
3. May be problematic at a lift height of over 20 ft (6 meters)
4. Space taken by the chain or chain container
The wire rope is a piece of equipment that is used mainly for production tasks. The main reasons for choosing a wire rope hoist are as follows:
1. Provides faster speeds
2. Quieter than a chain hoist
3. Recommended for considerable long lifting height
4. Very smooth lifting operation
5. Heavy Safe Working Load up to 25 tons (22.7 tonnes)
Both wire rope and chain hoists available in the market today are rugged and durable products. A good load chain can lasts up to 30 times longer than a standard wire rope, and it greatly reduces the down time and operational costs. Duty ratings stated in various standards (HMI/DIN / FEM) are a better indicator of the durability of the hoist type (chain or wire rope). Therefore, when purchasing a crane, focus more on lifting speeds, headroom and features, and less on the type of hoist.
Previous: Types of Hoists
Related Industry Knowledge
- Electric hoist
- Structure of electric hoist
- Part of the electric hoist
- Main classification of electric hoist
- Overview of bridge crane
- Common bridge crane
- Lifting mechanism of bridge crane
- Portal crane
- Summary of gantry crane
- Light crane
- Types of Hoists
- Comparison of various standards
- Selecting the Right Overhead Crane
- Things to Consider When Purchasing Bridge Cranes
- Various Hoist Classifications as Determined by ...
- TYPES OF ELECTRIC OVERHEAD CRANES
- COMPONENTS OF BRIDGE CRANES
- Overhead Bridge Cranes can be divided into two ...
- What is a Bridge Crane?
- What kind of crane do we need?